Tiffany Anne Firmeza in Design Studio Class

Tiffany Anne Firmeza in Design Studio Class

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Rock Element


This is the streetwear I designed for our midterm project and here's the brief.

Occasion & Season
            The outfit is designed for the spring season specifically intended for an event with ‘rock’ theme. For a warmer climate, a blue hue can be beneficial since it produces a calming effect. Adding black on the scheme complements the look.

Muse/ Customer
            Aside from having an established name in the industry, Candice Swanepoel is the one I chose to represent my creation because she’s in her early 20s, the age in which you can liberally experiment on what you wear since fashion bears no limitations during youthful years. This 24-year old South African has a slender built with vital statistics of 33-23-34 and tall stature with a height of 5”9’. She is said to be best known for her work in Victoria’s Secret and in 2012, she came in 10th on the Forbes top-earning models list with estimated earnings of 3 million dollars between 2010 and 2011.

Target Market
          The prospective buyers for the product are young adult women of any race who could be fun and flexible when it comes to fashion.

Material and Fabric
            Denim is mostly used in jeans and jackets. I wanted to put a twist on the use of this textile by making a top out of it. I did ripping as part of the design and on its edges, I removed the blue threads on the weaving to create a raveled appearance. Also, I used leather to accentuate some areas of the top and utilized same kind of material for the entire skirt establishing that ‘rock’ effect. The gold buttons and sequins were adorned on the outfit to augment sophistication.

Costing
            Since almost all the materials were already available in my place, I didn’t have to spend much. The denim was from my friend’s old jeans and the leather for the top was from her jacket but I needed more of it for the skirt so I bought a plus size leather skirt at a thrift store. The gold embellishments I put were just found in my crafter’s toolbox.

Practical Outcomes
          While I was on the process, I tried to experiment on the incorporation of such ideas for the outfit. On balance, I was able to achieve what I am expecting to come up with giving the look that I intended to present.


I got bits of inspiration from the materials and structures of the pieces that are in this visual page.


Streetwear with  Rock Element -Final Product

When I thought of streetwear, denim was the first thing that popped into my mind as the material. It is most often seen on jeans and jackets but I wanted to use it for a crop top. I also desired to try how to do ripping on it as part of the design so I watched video lessons on YouTube and incorporated my learning on the creation. While I was making the top, I unexpectedly felt like taking advantage on the raveling edges of the fabric so I took the blue threads on its weaving to make it look like it’s really meant to have hanging threads.

One time, my friend took off the leather fabric at the back of her jacket leaving the lining on so I collected those torn pieces believing that I could use them for some purpose and so I really did. The collar and cutouts on the connecting parts of the top are made of the materials I got. I had sewn them into the fabric by hand but ensured that they are attached well by applying Crown Band instant glue.

That kind of ‘rock’ look that I desired to achieve was planned in the middle of the process of making the top and I decided to choose it because the materials and colors give that feel. To complete the outfit, I did a high waist skirt made of leather and also sewn by hand. I needed more leather so I bought a plus size skirt at a thrift store. On the waist band has gold buttons so I adorned the collar of the top with gold square sequins as well so that the two garments would agreeably match each other. I also designed the top and the skirt in a manner that those could be worn with inner garments (such as fitted blouse and leggings) in a way that the one who will wear it can experiment on it depending on her style. Moreover, I could imagine these clothes paired with wedge sneakers or ankle boots in black, gold, blue or a combination of these colors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment